CYT Musical Theater Summer Camp is one of the most affordable quality musical theatre camps in central Indiana. Campers are placed on a team (red, green, blue etc). In the morning, they rotate with their team to a variety of theater classes including dance, drama & voice taught by qualified instructors. After lunch, summer campers play exciting outdoor games before they come together with all the teams for showcase rehearsal. Our Jr. campers enjoy a fast paced, condensed structure to keep them engaged while learning theater basics. Last year 623 campers attended CYT camp in over 7 Central Indiana locations.
All campers perform in the musical theater showcase at the end of the week, featuring a variety of songs, dances and drama. This final showcase presentation is on Friday night (the last day of camp) at 7pm and will last approximately 45-60 minutes. Family, friends and neighbors are welcome to attend the final presentation!
... (read more)
CYT stands in the forefront in its commitment to the highest ethical, moral, technical and artistic standards of excellence. Instructors are professionals, qualified in teaching and/or performing, who must understand our mission statement, values, objectives and goals. All CYT staff strive to be excellent role models.
Sample Day Camp Schedule (ages 8-18, ages 4-7 release at Noon):
9:15am - Team Time / Voice Workshop
9:45am - Morning Rehearsal
10:15am - Snack
10:30am - Drama Workshop
11:15am - Dance Workshop
12:00pm - Lunch
12:30pm - Outside Games
1:30pm - Afternoon Rehearsal
2:45pm - Ending Game / Activity
- Campers will be greeted by camp staff and are encouraged to join into high energy group games and free- style dancing.
- Parents will be introduced to our Camp Coordinator and given some important information regarding the week.
- Campers will be broken into their color teams and meet their teammates. The first day, we take some time to introduce the campers to their counselors and make them feel welcomed and excited to be at camp, as well as explain behavior expectations.
- After that, campers break into classes in dance, drama and voice. In each class, they will participate in a short and fun "audition". There is no preparation required and we try to keep the auditions exciting and non- threatening.
- During class rotations, we also have a short snack time, where campers can either bring or purchase snacks.
- Campers then come together for lunch, games, team time & character building activities.
- Then it's afternoon rehearsal where campers learn their first big group number.
- At the end of the first day campers will be assigned their showcase parts as well as their team songs. EVERY child will be in showcase, and some campers will be assigned lines or solos based on their auditions.
What if my child is upset the first day of camp? Can I stay with them?
- We find that at times, especially for younger campers, the first day can be a bit overwhelming.
- There are numerous people playing games with fun loud music playing. However, our staff is equipped to look out for children who may need encouragement to participate.
- Staff may come over and try to engage your child in opening activities like dances or games or introduce them to other campers.
- Parents are welcome to stay through opening activities, but once campers break into teams, we've found that mom or dad's presence sometimes makes a more difficult emotional break.
- Almost always, once campers have a few minutes to see what fun camp is, they quickly adjust. Please be assured that if your child is overly upset for an extended period of time, we will contact you.
How will I know who is in charge?
- Our teachers will be wearing a CYT Summer camp staff shirt. Our volunteer staff interns will be teenagers wearing various colored camper shirts.
What does my child bring?
- Day campers will need to bring a sack lunch and we recommend bringing a water bottle & snack money.
- On water day, bring a towel and swimsuit.
- Please apply sun screen before coming to camp and/or send sunscreen with your child and it will be applied.
Do you have extended care?
- CYT does not offer extended care pick up for day campers is 3pm. And no campers can arrive before 8:30am.
Can my child switch teams?
- We encourage you to let us know who you would like to be on a team with ahead of time. We will switch you on the day if there is an urgent need.
What if my child doesn’t know anyone?
- Many of our campers are new to CYT. We encourage a very friendly and welcoming atmosphere where kids will meet new friends. Your child will also have a specific staff person assigned to their team color who can assist in easing the transition.
- WE encourage comfortable dance and play friendly clothing each day. Please encourage your kids to wear shoes with a back of some kind (please no flip flops).
- Please let us know of allergies on your enrollment form. Our staff will be alerted to the allergy and maintain a high level of awareness. Medication can be left with directions with the camp coordinator.
- No. But water games are one of the camper's favorite parts of camp!
- We do not have a nurse on staff. However, each location has at least one certified first aid/CPR trained staff member.
- Due to the extreme popularity of our camps, we do not offer refunds or cancellations for any reason except medical or family emergencies. We will be happy to switch you to a different week of camp if you need to swap weeks though!
- You can walk up and sign up at camp. However, many of our camps fill up so we encourage early registration.
- Your child’s safety is our utmost concern. Each person hired by CYT has completed a background check, interview, and camp staff training. Every camp location has between 3-4 teams. CYT limits the maximum team number to 10 campers. Each team is assigned an adult staff leader, and we have a teenage student helper per team over 10 students. There is also an adult camp administrator for every camp. We maintain a ratio of 15:1 campers:staff.
Who do I contact in case of emergency during camp?
- You will be provided a contact cell number of your area's camp administrator in case of an emergency.
- No. CYT holds to Judeo-Christian values of family, community, leadership, and positive encouragement. We welcome all kids of varying faiths, backgrounds, and beliefs.
- CYT openly welcomes all children with special needs, regardless of severity. Please let us know what the special needs are by filling out form as well as if your child will require additional assistance to participate. CYT will work with you to allow your child to participate. Please give us as much information as possible so we can make your child's experience successful.